Canvasser Position Description -
CANVASSER – HIRING EARLY 2024
Progress North is an exciting grassroots organization connecting people – individuals and organizations – in northern Wisconsin to advance a hopeful progressive vision for our region and our state. Across race, class, gender, sexual orientation, generation and geography we are working toward three goals: 1.) to engage voters about the issues they care about and to turn them out to support bold, progressive leaders up and down the ballot; 2.) build a coalition of organizations in the region that will come together around a common vision for change that takes on structural racism, gender and economic inequities, and; 3.) to develop grassroots leadership and amplify the voices of the people of northern Wisconsin so that the priorities of our state and local government reflect our experiences.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS — Essential duties and responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Build our public profile: Canvassers help to raise awareness, identify new supporters, and open up an opportunity for Progress North to hear from people in our community about what they care about which helps us start to build our base. You are often their first point of contact with our organization.
- Establishing a positive rapport: Canvassers are the front lines of our field work, and in some cases, one of the only personal connections we’ll make. As such, you are responsible for maintaining a professional, positive, and healthy rapport during each interaction. You should be knowledgeable about our work, and attempt to provide answers for any questions that arise. Additionally, you are responsible for accurately recording the results of every interaction, and reporting daily numbers to the Field Manager & Executive Director.
- Maintaining a healthy work environment: Everyone at Progress North is responsible for helping to maintain a healthy and positive work environment.
- Other duties or tasks as assigned on an as-needed basis.
Experience & Qualifications:
Successful candidates will have strong communication skills, work ethic, ability to work remotely and with minimal supervision, and a deep passion for advancing social, racial, gender and economic justice for all Wisconsinites. Canvassers must be able to work with other members of their team, receive feedback, and adapt to rapidly changing political and programmatic landscapes. Previous phone and/ or door canvassing, sales, or political experience is a plus but not required.
- Responsible for canvassing door-to-door and/or over the phone in accordance with our employee handbook, health & safety guidelines, and campaign finance laws.
- Talk to voters across Northwest Wisconsin through our deep canvass program, which will include issue advocacy as well as outreach for local and statewide candidates endorsed by our membership.
- Work with the Field Manager and Progress North team to track on and ensure that daily, weekly, and monthly goals are met.
- Work with the Progress North team to build unity & create a fun and supportive work environment.
- On-going training & support as is needed – we will incorporate a unique structure for support that recognizes the emotional work that inevitably exists within these conversations.
- Other duties or tasks as assigned on an as-needed basis.
- Successful candidates will have strong communication skills, work ethic, ability to work remotely and with minimal supervision, and a deep passion for advancing social, racial, gender and economic justice for all Wisconsinites.
- Commitment to building power for the progressive movement in NW Wisconsin in collaboration with other individuals and organizations.
- Canvassers must be able to work with other members of their team, receive feedback, and adapt to rapidly changing political and programmatic landscapes.
- Must have reliable access to a vehicle and a valid driver’s license.
- Ability to work irregular hours in a fast paced work environment, and meet deadlines.
- Strong interpersonal communications skills.
- Full vaccination required for this position. Individuals may request accommodation if they are unable to be fully vaccinated for either medical or religious reasons.
Newly hired canvassers will work closely with the Progress North team to learn how to canvass and fine tune their skills in outreach. The first week of canvassing will include training and support, but we’ll schedule regular training, check-in’s and debriefs to continue to support your work.
Physical Demands & Working Environment:
Work will be by both phone and through door to door conversations, so you must be able to spend 6-8+ hours at a time either on the phone or out in the field walking door-to-door. There is an emotional labor aspect to the work you do and the conversations you will have on the phone or doors. We will train and coach you on how to handle difficult conversations, and we’ll continue to provide support and offer resources for self-care.
This position can be full or part-time, and is seasonal/temporary (early 2024 – November 2024).
The compensation for this position is $20/hour, canvassers are hourly and will not exceed 40hrs/week. There is an additional reimbursement of $75/month for partial support of cell phone & internet as tools for doing the work. This position is temporary – with an anticipated hire date in early 2024.
Reports To & Location:
This position reports to the Field Manager and Executive Director of Progress North, Shawnu Ksicinski. Positions can be located in any of our target geographies (Ashland, Bayfield, Douglas, Price & Sawyer Counties in Wisconsin). Organization’s primary address is in Superior, WI (Douglas County).
How to Apply:
Applications are rolling, and we’ll continue to accept applications until all positions are filled. Email Shawnu Ksicinski, Executive Director of Progress North, at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 218-590-3408 for any questions, or additional information to indicate interest in applying for this position.
Progress North is a fiscally sponsored project of TakeAction Minnesota, and both are equal opportunity employers. Women, BIPOC, LGBTQ2IA+, varying abilities strongly encouraged to apply.