FIELD MANAGER POSITION
Progress North is an exciting grassroots organization connecting people – individuals and organizations – in northern Wisconsin to advance a hopeful progressive vision for our region and our state. Across race, class, gender, sexual orientation, generation and geography we are working toward three goals: 1.) to engage voters about the issues they care about and to turn them out to support bold, progressive leaders up and down the ballot; 2.) build a coalition of organizations in the region that will come together around a common vision for change that takes on structural racism, gender and economic inequities, and; 3.) to develop grassroots leadership and amplify the voices of the people of northern Wisconsin so that the priorities of our state and local government reflect our experiences.
Build our public profile: Field Manager will lead the Canvassers in helping raise awareness, identifying new supporters, and opening up an opportunity for Progress North to hear from people in our community about what they care about which helps us continue to build our base. You are often their first point of contact with our organization.
Establishing a positive rapport: Our field team is the front line of our work, and in some cases, one of the only personal connections we’ll make. As such, you are responsible for maintaining a professional, positive, and healthy rapport during each interaction. You should be knowledgeable about our work, and attempt to provide answers for any questions that arise. Additionally, you are responsible for accurately recording the results of every interaction, and reporting daily numbers to the Executive Director.
Maintaining a healthy work environment: Everyone at Progress North is responsible for helping to maintain a healthy and positive work environment.
- Responsible for helping train canvassers, launching canvass events, and supervising a team of canvassers in accordance with our employee handbook, health & safety guidelines, and campaign finance laws.
- Lead our electoral field efforts through our deep canvass program, which will include issue advocacy as well as outreach for local and statewide candidates endorsed by our membership.
- Work with Progress North team to plot out field plan, cut turf for canvassers, and track on and ensure that daily, weekly, and monthly goals are met.
- Timely tracking and follow-through on entering data and reporting on work (goals) to make sure we are in compliance with any election reporting as well as making sure we hold ourselves accountable to reaching the goals we set.
- Ensure all health and safety protocols and procedures are met.
- Overall management of canvass team – which will include, but not limited to – assigning turf and/or lists for the day/week, making sure folks report for their shifts, helping to coach & train canvassers, and working with the rest of the Progress North team to build unity & create a fun and supportive work environment.
- Assist with delivering training & ongoing support for canvassers – we will incorporate a unique structure for support that recognizes the emotional work that inevitably exists within these conversations.
- Other duties or tasks as assigned on an as-needed basis.
- Successful candidates will have strong communication skills, work ethic, ability to work remotely and with minimal supervision, and a deep passion for advancing social, racial, gender and economic justice for all Wisconsinites.
- Commitment to building power for the progressive movement in NW Wisconsin in collaboration with other individuals and organizations.
- Basic computer literacy & database skills, strong knowledge of Microsoft Excel is a plus.
- Must be able to work with other members of the team, receive feedback, and adapt to rapidly changing political and programmatic landscapes.
- Must have reliable access to a vehicle and a valid driver’s license.
- Ability to work irregular hours in a fast paced work environment, and meet deadlines while handling multiple projects.
- Strong interpersonal communications skills.
- Full vaccination required for this position. Individuals may request accommodation if they are unable to be fully vaccinated for either medical or religious reasons.
- Preferred, but will train for the right candidate:
- At least 1-2 cycles with a field campaign or other door to door canvassing experience.
- Knowledge of Votebuilder/VAN/EveryAction preferred.
WORK ENVIRONMENT & PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
So long as it is safe and appropriate to continue door-to-door and site-based canvassing, it will be a high priority. Canvassing is considered the primary function of this job. Employees may be required to work in challenging weather conditions (i.e. rain, heat, cold), however, the safety of our staff is always priority so we will assess before scheduling each week to plan as much in advance as is possible. This position will interact regularly face-to-face with voters, volunteers and/or community partners. If unable to safely engage with folks in-person due to weather or other contributing factors (i.e. pandemic, etc), employees may be assigned other duties to be conducted from their homes.
This position is full-time (30-40hrs/wk) and seasonal (April – November).
The compensation for this position is $22/hour, and is hourly and will not exceed 40hrs/week. There is an additional reimbursement of $75/month for partial support of cell phone & internet as tools for doing the work. This position is temporary – with an anticipated start date of April 1, 2022 and end date of November 11, 2022.
REPORTS TO & LOCATION:
This position reports to the Executive Director of Progress North, Shawnu Ksicinski. Positions can be located in any of our target geographies (Ashland, Bayfield, Douglas, Price & Sawyer Counties in Wisconsin). Organization’s primary address is in Superior, WI (Douglas County).
HOW TO APPLY:
Applications are rolling, and we’ll continue to accept applications until the position is filled. Email Shawnu Ksicinski, Executive Director of Progress North, at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 218-590-3408 for any questions, or additional information to indicate interest in applying for this position.
Progress North is a project of TakeAction Minnesota, its fiscal sponsor, who is an equal opportunity employer. Women, BIPOC, LGBTQIA+, varying abilities strongly encouraged to apply.